Accommodation - Private Rented Accommodation

Private Accommodation in Caerphilly

There is a good supply of privately rented accommodation in Caerphilly and properties are available in most areas. Renting privately offers:

  • Choice
  • Flexibilty
  • Speed

What can the Private Sector offer you in terms of accommodation?

You will find that the availability of accommodation in the private sector is much higher than that in the social (council and housing associations) sector. You will therefore have a much greater choice of the type of property and area you wish to live.

Rents tend to be slightly higher in the private sector and most tenancies will be offered on a short term basis e.g. 6 or 12 months.  Some landlords will require bonds and rent in advance and some agencies will charge you an introduction/agency fee. Please bear in mind that some agencies will conduct a credit check.

Can I afford it?

There are a number of costs associated with renting a property, most importantly paying the rent. If you are on a low income you may be able to get help with this. To find out if you may be entitled to extra help towards the cost of your rent, visit the Housing Benefit page.

How do I get a bond?

Most landlords require tenants to pay a bond equivalent to one months rent to cover any future damage or unpaid rent. The Bond scheme helps people who are homeless and on a low income to access private sector accommodation by providing them with a bond. Bond schemes offer a paper bond guarantee to private landlords up to the value of one months rent.

Further information about the scheme is available by contacting Gwalia Care & Support Bond Scheme (Caerphilly) on 01495 237300. If you are unable to access this bond and/or you need a months rent in advance, you maybe able to apply to the Housing Advice Centre for assitance with the prevention money. As all cases are based in the individual circumstances you should contact the Housing Advice Centre on 01443 873552 to discuss your circumstances.